- Metadiscourse across languages and contexts, Jilin University, China. 18-20 October, 2019.
- Paper to be decided. XVIII Conference of AELFE (AsociaciónEuropea de Lenguas para Fines Específicos) University of Navarra, Spain 20 -21 June, 2019.
- Specificity in University English teaching. ESP Conference. Liverpool Hope University. 26-27 April 2019.
- Paper to be decided. Applied Linguistics in English conference. Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia. March 12-14, 2019.
- Community and identity in academic writing 3nd International Conference on Communication Across Cultures. University of Social Sciences, Warsaw, Poland. 6-7 December 2018.
- Identity and academic writing: presenting a self in storytelling genres. Identity in second language writing conference. Nanjing University, China. 12 -15 October 2018.
- The communication of expertise: changes in academic writing over 50 years. CERLIS conference. Scholarly Pathways: Knowledge Transfer and Knowledge Exchange in Academia. University of Bergamo, Italy 21-23 June 2018.
- Writing: texts, writers and readers. Professional development symposium. Jilin University, China. 28th April 2018.
- Innovating English teaching: A new approach to EAP. Revisiting ELT Practices in Multicultural Contexts: Evidence-Based Practices. Shantou University, China. 20-22 April 2018.
- Working with writing. 4th International Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the Context of Higher Education. National University of Science and Technology MISiS, Moscow, Russia. 24-25 November 2017.
- Informality and academic writing. 4th International Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the Context of Higher Education. National University of Science and Technology MISiS, Moscow, Russia. 24-25 November 2017.
- Academic interaction: where’s it all going? Faculty of Education Seminar Series. University of East Anglia. 15th November 2017. Invited speaker.
- Re-imagining Instruction: Specificity and EAP writing. 1st Annual Conference of the Asian Association for ESP & 6th National Conference of the Chinese Association for ESP 27-29 October, 2017. Beijing Foreign Studies University, China. Keynote speaker
- Writing research: methods and methodologies. Doing Research in Applied Linguistics/ English in South-East Asia conference. King Mongkut’s University of Technology, Bangkok. June 22-24, 2017.
- Academic interaction: where’s it all going? Faces of English language education 2 Conference. University of Hong Kong. June 1-3, 2017.
- Feedback on writing: Faculty and student perceptions. Writing for readers conference. Polytechnic University of Hong Kong. 19 May, 2017.
- Metadiscourse: what’s new? Metadiscourse across Genres Conference. 30 March-1 April, 2017. Limassol, Cyprus.
- Working with writing: understanding texts, writers and readers. 4th International Conference on Language in Focus. Famagusta, Cyprus. March 2-4, 2017
- Teaching EFL writing: 3 perspectives. International conference on applied linguistics and language education. De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines Feb 10-11, 2017.
- Narrative, identity and professional storytelling. FASP and beyond: fictional and non-fictional narratives related to professional communities and specialized groups“. Grenoble,. University Grenoble-Alpes, France. January 26-27, 2017
- Teaching and researching writing. 4th conference of Applied Linguistics of China. Guangdong University of Foreign Studies. December 3-4, 2016
“Corpus insights into community and identity in academic writing” American Association for Corpus Linguistics Annual conference. 16-18 September, 2016. Iowa State University, USA.
“Innovating English teaching: A new approach to EAP” Pan-Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics (PAAL) conference. Tamkang University, Taiwan, August 22-24, 2016
“Interactions in research writing”. 10th Language for Specific Purposes Conference. University of Technology, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. 26-27, July 2016
- “English in the disciplines: A new approach to EAP” 2nd China EAP Annual Conference & the First International Symposium on Academic English in Asia. Fudan University, Shanghai. 28-30 May 2016.
- “Small change? Informality in academic writing”. International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME) 2016. Chinese University of Hong Kong. May 25-28, 2016
“Specificity, collaboration and English in the disciplines”. AESLA 2016, University of Alicante, Spain. 14-16th April, 2016
- “Teaching writing: understanding texts, writers and readers”. XI Meeting of Language Teaching Programs and II ELT Conference. Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia. March 17-19, 2016.
- Innovating Instruction: Specificity and English in the disciplines. 14th Symposium on Second Language Writing. AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand. November 19-21, 2015
- English for Specific Purposes: why is specificity important? 6th International Language Learning Conference (ILLC) 2-4 November, 2015 Penang, Malaysia.
- 10th Symposium on Teaching English at Tertiary Level Tsinghua University, Beijing. October 17-18, 2015
- “Anecdote, attitude and evidence. Does English disadvantage EAL authors in international publishing?” Faces of English Conference. University of Hong Kong. June 11-13, 2015
- Innovating instruction: specificity and English in the disciplines. British Assn of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP) conference. University of Leicester. 17 &19 April 2015
- Teaching writing: understanding texts, writers and readers. TESOL Arabia Conference. Dubai, United Arab Emirates. 12-14 March, 2015
Writing reform: Specificity and English in the disciplines. ETA International Symposium. Chien Tan Conference Centre, Taipei; November 14-16.
- Writing in the Disciplines: curriculum innovation in EAP. 7th International Conference on English Language Teaching in China. Nanjing University. 20th-21st October, 2014.
- Genre, corpora and academic writing: understanding community and identity through texts. 8th Free Linguistic Conference. Jiao Tong Universiyt, Shanghai, China.
- Community and Identity in academic writing. Sydney Seminar Series. University of Sydney, Australia. 21st-23rd August, 2014.
- Advice from the editors: publishing in humanities journals (with Brian Paltridge) Sydney Seminar Series. University of Sydney, Australia. 21st-23rd August, 2014..
- Innovating instruction: specificity in EAP. 9th International conference on English for Specific Purposes. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor, Malaysia. May 27-29, 2014.
- Interactions in research writing. TESOL Sudan Bi-annual conference. Khartoum December 18-19, 2013.
- Working with writing. Understanding texts, writers and readers. AEX-SEAMEO RELC Conference Singapore Expo Centre. 21 November, 2013
- Innovating instruction: Specificity and writing in the disciplines . Applied Linguistics Association of Korea, Pusan, Korea. 5th October, 2013.
- Disciplinary membership and identity performance. Literacy Symposium, University of Stockholm, Sweden. 17th-18th , September, 2013.
- Corpora and academic writing. What’s all the fuss about? Communication Skills Conference. Helsinki University, Finland. 13th-14th September, 2013.
- Researching and teaching academic English. Japan Association of College English Teachers annual convention (JACET 2013) Kyoto University, Japan. 31st Aug – 1 Sept, 2013.
- Writing in the academy. Conference on Developing Academic Literacies National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City. 17th – 18th June 2013.
- Workshop: Genre analysis and writing instruction: some connections. Conference on Developing Academic Literacies National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City. 17th – 18th June 2013
- Workshop: Interaction in research writing. Conference on Developing Academic Literacies National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City. 17th – 18th June 2013.
- What can corpora can tell us about academic discourse? 34th Conference of the International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME 34), Santiago de Compostela, Spain. 23-26 May, 2013.
- Writing in the disciplines. EAP research and teaching. 3rd international conference on Foreign Language Learning and Teaching. Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand, 15th -16th March, 2013.
- Teaching and researching writing: texts, writers and readers. Distinguished Speaker Forum, Qatar University, Doha. 16-17 January, 2013.
- Feedback on student writing: What, how and why bother? Distinguished Speaker Forum, Qatar University, Doha. 16-17 January, 2013.
- Performing identity in applied linguistics. A corpus approach. Seminar Series. Lingnan University, Hong Kong. 5 Nov, 2012.
- Writing in the disciplines: specificity and professional communities.Third English for Business and Technology Conference. Institut Teknologi Brunei. 24-25 October, 2012.
- Individuality and disciplinarity in identity construction. Singapore Assn of Applied Linguistics Annual meeting. 1 September, 2012.
- Talking to readers: Interactions in research writing. International Communication Studies and Applied Linguistics Conference. University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana. 8-13 July, 2012.
- The ESP version: Genre, community and identity. Genre 2012: rethinking genre 20 years later. Carlton University, Ottawa, Canada, 26-29 June, 2012.
- What have we learnt so far? Reflections on curriculum reform. Research into Practice: 3rdConference on Language Education in HK. Hong Kong University. 1 June, 2012.
- Discipline and corpora and EAP: How research informs instruction in EAP. 29th International Conference on English Teaching and Learning in the R.O.C. Chinese Culture University on 19-20 May, 2012.
- We are what we write: the role of writing in the academy. Innovation and Integration: Rethinking English Language Education in a Connected World Conference. Shantou University. April 20-22, 2012.
- Discipline and writing: A specific view of English for Academic Purposes. LCC Roundtable on Academic Writing. Nanyang Technological University, 1-3rdDec, 2011.
- Genre teaching: what’s in it for me? Pan Asian Conference, English Teachers Assn, Taipei, Taiwan. 13-15th November.
- Constructing identity in Applied Linguistics. International PRISEAL Conference, Silesia, Poland,9-11 June, 2011.
- New Beginnings or Same Again? Preparing for 2012. Conference on English Curriculum reform in Hong Kong. Polytechnic University of Hong Kong. 1 June, 2011.
- Genre in teaching and research: an approach to EAP writing instruction. ESP International Conference. Shih Chien University, Taipei, Taiwan. April 23-24, 2011.
- Writing in the academy: constructing reputation, knowledge and students. Enhancing Learning Experiences in Higher Education Conference. Hong Kong University, 1st & 2nd December.
- Teaching and researching genre in EAP. 2nd Asian ESP Conference Nottingham University Ning Bo, China. Nov 9-12, 2010.
- OK, let’s be specific: disciplinary writing in EAP. Annual Conference of Taiwan ESP Association. NationalTaipei University, Taiwan. Nov 6-8, 2010.
- Discursive practices in EAP: unpacking specificity in academic writing. 2nd Conference of the Asia-Pacific Rim LSP and professional Communication Conference. Kula Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Let’s be specific: disciplinary writing and EAP. IATEFL English for Specific Purposes Special Interest Group Conference. Bilkent University, Turkey. 18-19 June, 2010.
- Transferring knowledge: proximity in professional and popular science. CLAVIER Conference on knowledge transfer. University of Modena, Italy, 7-9 June, 2010.
- Reflecting on teaching writing: applying research to the classroom. 27th International Conference on English Teaching and Learning in the R.O.C. Kaohsiung, Taiwan. 1-2 May, 2010.
- Writing and revising for publication Strategies for publishing in Academic Journals. Beijing Foreign Studies University, China. 4-7 January, 2010.
- Genre and academic writing in the disciplines. International Conference on ESP and its teaching. Wuhan University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China. 24-26 October, 2009.
- Specificity in EAP. 5th International Symposium on Teaching English at Tertiary Level. Polytechnic University , Hong Kong. 16-17 October, 2009.
- Corpora and EAP: exploring Disciplinary Discourses. Practical Applications of Languages and Computers (PALC)Annual Conference. Lodz, Poland. 6-9 April, 2009.
- Different strokes for different folks: evidence of specificity in EAP. Annual Conference of British Assn of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP). University of Reading. 5-7 April, 2009.
- Constructing proximity in academic discourse. InterLae Conference, Jaca, Spain. 11-13 December 2008.
- Constraint vs creativity: identity and disciplinarity in academic writing. CERLIS Conference: Trading identities. University of Bergamo, Italy. 19-21 June, 2008.
- Constructing proximity: relating to readers in popular and professional science. GERAS – Groupe d’Étude et de Recherche en Anglais de Spécialité 29th Annual Conference. University of Orleans, France. 13–15 March, 2008.
- Genre: what’s in it for us? Shannon Annual Regional Writing Conference. University of Limerick, Ireland. 7 December, 2007.
- Working with writing: understanding texts, writers and readers. 36th Annual English Teachers Association of The Republic of China. Taipei, Taiwan. 9-11 November, 2007.
- Teacher written feedback: does it work? Argentinean Teachers’ Association. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 24 July, 2007.
- Teaching and researching genre. Jornadas de Enseñanza de Lenguas Extranjeras en el Nivel Superior. Universidad Nacional del Litoral, Santa Fe, Argentina. 19-21 July 2007.
- Teaching and researching genre: academic writing in the disciplines. 4th Biennial Conference of the European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing. Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany. June 30 – July 2, 2007.
- Understanding Writing: exploring texts, writers and readers. Second International Symposium for English Language Teachers. Centre for English Language Communication (CELC), National University of Singapore. 30 May-1 June, 2007.
- Discourse and disciplines: interactions in research writing. 5th Malaysia International Conference on Languages, Literatures and Cultures. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 22-24 May, 2007.
- Genre analysis and ESP. Dept of theoretical and applied linguistics. University of Thessalonica, Greece. 4 May, 2007.
- ‘Interactions in research writing: stance and engagement in academic discourse’. 18th International Symposium on Theoretical & Applied Linguistics. University of Thessalonica, Greece. 4-6 May, 2007.
- We are what we write: the role of writing in the academy. Spanish Applied Linguistics Assn (AESLA). University of Murcia, Spain. 19-21 April, 2007.
- Feedback on writing: how to make a difference. BAAHE EAP Symposium. University of Leuven, Belgium. 5 – 6 December, 2006.
- Disciplinary voices in Academic English. Belgian Association of Anglicists in Higher Education Third International Conference. University of Leuven, Belgium. 7-9 December 2006.
- What’s not to like? ESAP in theory and practice. BALEAP Conference. Durham University November, 2006.
- Writing in a foreign language. British Association of Japanese Teachers 3rd Annual Conference. Royal Holloway College, University of London. September, 2006.
- Disciplines and discourses: social interactions in the construction of knowledge. Writing in the knowledge society, Annual Conference of the Canadian Assn of Teachers of Technical writing. York University, Toronto Canada. 28-30 May.
- Different strokes for different folks: disciplinary variation in academic writing. Academic Voices in Contrast Conference, University of Bergen, Norway, 4-6 May.
- Metadiscourse: a theory of interactions in writing. University of Zaragoza, Spain. 23 February.-
- Approaches to feedback on student writing. ACELS Conference. Dublin, Ireland. December, 2005.
- Researching and teaching writing in EAP. ACELS Conference. Dublin, Ireland. December, 2005.
- Discourse, dialogue and research writing. West Midlands Research Students’ Conference. University of Warwick. 8 June, 2005.
- Key aspects of EAP. Greek Applied Linguistics/ESP Assn Conference. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 27-28 May, 2005.
- Working with writing: texts, writers and readers. Writing Revisited: IATEFL Research Conference. Eurocentre, Cambridge. February, 2005.
- Stance and Engagement: interacting in academic discourse. Academic Writing Seminar, Universitat Jaume I, Valencia, Spain. 27 April, 2004.
- Talking to readers: stance and engagement in academic writing. IVACS Annual Research Symposium. University of Limerick, Ireland. 26 Jan, 2004.
- Engagement and Disciplinarity: the other side of evaluation. Conference on Evaluation in Academic Discourse. Sienna, Italy. May, 2003.
- Academic texts and disciplinary cultures: engaging in community discourses. Languages, literature and cultures: Beyond barriers, fresh frontiers. Universiti Putra Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 23-25 April, 2003.
- English for Academic Purposes: current challenges and new issues. 9th International TESOL Arabia Conference, Dubai, UAE 12-14 March, 2003.
- Texts, transcripts and identity: confessions of a discourse analyst. 3rd Symposium on Second Language Writing. Purdue University, USA. 10-13 October, 2002.
- Putting the S back into LSP: How far should we go? Languages for Specific Purposes 2000 Conference. Johor Bahru, Malaysia 12-15 November, 2000.